Still not done, but close. I had to quit last night because of yet another unexpected development, and I wanted to ponder what I wanted to do with it before I wrote more (I learned my lesson from having to cut 8,000 words). One of the possible outcomes could change the direction of the entire series, and I'm not entirely sure I want to go there. But I'm having trouble seeing other ways out right now.
Oooh, I just came up with one! I love it when that happens. I can still also do the other thing, if I decide that's what I want to do. Must think more.
I should finish today. I need to finish today. I can do about 20 pages on a good day, and 20 more pages in this book would make it unnecessarily long. Then again, I suspect a lot will be cut from the middle.
Meanwhile, I started making a to-do list of things I need to accomplish before Rebel Mechanics comes out, and then I wanted to whimper. I've got a convention next weekend and have to do a lot of stuff for that, including critiques on submissions for the writing workshop at that convention. I also need to get some promo material done, prepare a reading excerpt, and do some of the usual pre-trip preparation, like shopping and laundry. I'm working on a web site redesign and I'm starting to get interviews and guest post questions for blog tours, but that just has to be done by the end of the month.
In other news, after doing some whining about not being asked to be a panelist at WorldCon, I got asked yesterday. I still reserve the right for some whining, since I seem to be among the last group they asked, probably to fill in spaces left by other people they asked who either declined or changed their minds, given that they asked me on the 10th, want all my information by the 13th, and plan to finalize programming on the 15th. I still haven't decided whether or not to go. There aren't a lot of hotel spaces left, and I need to check airline schedules. And then make a pro/con list. Would this convention really be the best use of my time and money? It's in a different region than I usually go to, so it broadens my horizons and visibility among a different group of people, which is good. Being visible there theoretically boosts my chances of being seen by people who might invite me to other conventions.
On the other hand, the airfare is pretty expensive if you don't want to be traveling in the middle of the night, and the return trip is a killer, thanks to the time difference and no direct flights. The "best" option leaves there at 8:45 in the morning and arrives here at 5:49 in the evening. Even if you factor in the time difference that means a shorter day, I could fly to England in that amount of time (though that would all be spent in the air rather than sitting in an airport waiting for a connection).
Any Pacific Northwest fans planning to be at Sasquan who are dying to meet me?