Monday, June 06, 2016

Family Traits

I'm back a day earlier than I planned from the family reunion. I'd thought I'd come back to my parents' house from Louisiana yesterday, then come home today, but when I got to my parents' house, I decided to just move my stuff into my car and then come on home to get all the travel out of the way at once rather than face yet another day on the road. As a result, I'm at home on a workday that I'd planned to take as "vacation," so I've been trying to decide if that obligates me to work. I decided that I'm not going to try to stick to a workday schedule, but since I'm doing research and that mostly means lying around reading, I'll do that work.

It was a good trip and a nice chance to catch up with the family, or in some cases, meet family. There were cousins I knew, and even some of their kids I knew, but then there were cousins' grandkids I hadn't met (including a baby who launched himself into my arms at first sight). And then there was my grandmother's side of the family, the descendants of her siblings and her aunts and uncles. It's been so long since I've seen some of those people that even if I knew them, I didn't recognize them. It was interesting seeing how the family traits play out. A number of the girls had wild, curly hair like mine, and so many of the people look the same around the eyes. Plus, apparently cooking is either genetic or cultural because there was so much good food. I didn't even eat dinner Saturday night and wasn't starving for breakfast the next morning.

Now I've got a couple of days of newspapers (and crossword puzzles) to catch up on and some history to read. Tomorrow, I'll make myself think more.

No comments: