Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Arguing with Future Self

I'm about to have to admit to myself that it's summer. I know, it's not yet officially summer, at least not astronomically. It is, however, meteorological summer. I guess that means this weekend I should finally swap out my summer and winter clothes in my closet, mostly because I have a convention next weekend, and most of my summer clothes are still packed away upstairs.

Summer isn't my favorite season. I like to be outdoors, and it's usually too hot and humid for that around here, plus there are mosquitoes (there's currently one in my house that keeps biting me, but the only time I can spot it, it's landed on my computer, where I can't hit it). Summer is indoor time around here, so I'm going to use it to really buckle down and see how much writing I can get done. There are two books I'd like to write this summer. That would be a dramatic increase over my usual production, but I'd like to see if I can do it. It's going to require rearranging my schedule a bit, but it might be doable if I really buckle down.

And, since I have two books coming out in July -- the paperback of Rebel Mechanics and its sequel -- I suppose I should do some promo work. I've totally fallen off the radar of my publisher, so it's all up to me.

I'm having to rely on the "future self" way of thinking -- what would my future self be happier about me having done? My future self would really like to travel and get my house fixed up and maybe buy my dream house, so I should probably do the current action more likely to lead to that. As a result, I'm having a lot of arguments with myself.

Now off to convince my present self to make a salad for lunch so that future self can fit into my nice summer clothes, and then present self will do some book research so that future self can write that book and even more future self will earn money.

No comments: