Friday, April 08, 2016

Avoiding Distractions (sort of)

I still didn't do as much as I wanted yesterday, so I have to be really good today. Really. No distractions. No zoning out. No coming up with random things that need to be done. I just need to get through this scene and out the other side, and it should be easier from there.

I swear, by the time this book is done, I'll have spent about 50 percent of the time I worked on it writing two of the scenes. At least they're major turning point scenes. It would be really frustrating if I kept getting stuck on minor exposition scenes.

When I'm faced with a distraction, I've come up with a new mantra: At the end of the day, next week, next month, next year, at the end of my life, how will I wish I'd spent this hour? Will I wish I'd worked on this book and finished it earlier so I could have written more books, or will I be glad I got caught up in a Facebook doom loop, obsessively checking to see if anyone posted anything new in the last 30 seconds?

If I'm really, really good, maybe I'll finally get around to watching the new Star Wars DVD I got this week. Yeah, I saw the movie three times in the theater, but still …

And now we have a trailer for Rogue One, the story behind how the Rebels got the Death Star plans in the first place. It looks like so much fun, and I suppose that will work to tide us over until the next main Star Wars movie. It should be interesting to see another slice of that universe and what was going on behind the scenes.

But first, I have so much work I need (and kind of want) to do.

No comments: