Tuesday, September 02, 2014

The New Non-School Year

Even though I've been out of school for a long time and even though I'm not sure I ever went to a school that didn't start until after Labor Day, there's something about the Tuesday after Labor Day that feels almost like a second New Year's Day. It's a fresh start, a chance to get myself together and regroup to move ahead.

So I started the "new school year" by getting my cable fixed. It turned out that there was a system problem, which they had fixed over the weekend. Then there was a bad connection in the outside box where the lines to individual homes in the neighborhood branch off. And my converter box was bad. He redid the outside connection and I have the next-generation converter box (apparently the old one was the first generation of HD boxes). I don't think I really had true high-def before because wow, the picture is so very different. The one downside is that my VCR is now mostly irrelevant. I used to be able to record things off the converter box, but the new box has no coax output. I don't record that much, though it was nice to get archive copies of some shows off OnDemand for Internet argument purposes until the DVDs came out or to record things to watch if I was going to be out and didn't want to wait until the next day for OnDemand.

While we were waiting for the new box to boot up, the cable guy and I had a nice discussion about Doctor Who.

I had a supremely lazy Labor Day weekend. I read two books, slept a lot and continued my DVD marathons. It was the kind of weekend that actually leaves me anticipating diving into the work week because I feel rested and eager to get started. So today I will be editing that short story and starting some research for a new novel. This month's work focus will be on novel prep work and doing some marketing/PR stuff. I've slacked off on that, but with a couple of new series launching, I need to get back on track.

I just kind of feel like I should be doing this in stiff new shoes that I spent a lot of time selecting.

No comments: