Friday, September 12, 2014

First Taste of Fall

The front we were supposed to get yesterday finally seems to have arrived, and we've got a cool, rainy day -- perfect for reading/brainstorming/research. I found a DVD of the Russian version of The Nutcracker at the library, which I don't think I've seen. I'm trying to decide which version to use as the production my heroine will be in and decide what role she'll dance. I can't really use the Balanchine version, in which Clara also does the Sugar Plum Fairy stuff, since that's so tied to the NYC Ballet and I'm going to be making up a ballet company. Though I think I'm going to have to make up a ballet company that dances at Lincoln Center, since that's the place I'll be able to see if/when I go, and that seems to be the big venue for ballet in Manhattan. Hey, it's a world where creatures from the fairy realms wander in and out of the city, so making up a ballet company that replaces the real-world one is only a minor deal.

Anyway, my work today will involve watching ballet, research and brainstorming. Plus maybe some baking, since it feels almost like fall. This is probably my favorite part of the writing process, when all the possibilities are open and it's pure play. It only becomes "work" when I have to start putting it into narrative.

I've seen the initial sketches of the covers for the first two books in this series, and it's funny, but now I kind of want to write the books that go with them. They're more impressionistic of the theme/tone of the stories rather than depicting actual scenes from the books, and while they perfectly fit these books, like most art, they leave open the possibility of other stories and other interpretations. I can't wait to see the full paintings. I may end up having to see if I can buy prints from the artist so I can hang the actual art (rather than the book covers) on my walls. It would be cool to have art that I actually commissioned (as opposed to the Renoir print I have now, as much as I love that piece of art -- and it's fun to say I have a Renoir over the fireplace).

Otherwise, I've been scrolling through Amazon to look at fonts/title treatments so I can direct the cover designer once the art is done. It's funny, but I had a very vivid mental image of what I wanted, and when I finally found that, I didn't really like it. So I have a bunch of examples of things that I think might fit and will see what the designer comes up with that's probably better than what I imagined.

As for my weekend, the weather's supposed to be glorious, so I will be outdoors as much as possible. I'm limiting my social activity somewhat, since the next two weekends will be crazy, but there may be some outdoor activity because it feels kind of like fall.

No comments: