Thursday, April 24, 2014

Unintentional Stripes

I got about halfway through inputting the editor's changes on the manuscript yesterday, so I should finish that phase today. I also need to write a foreword to set the stage for what is alternate about this alternate history. Strangely, she wants this to explain an area of history that's not even relevant to this story, but she for some reason thinks that it would be offensive not to mention this part of history. I did have it mentally worked out even if it isn't relevant, so it's not like I'll have to create something to explain elements that mean nothing to the story, but I thought that was a little odd. Fortunately, I'd already written this kind of introduction and will just have to add the irrelevant (but potentially interesting) information. She did thank me for being patient with her through all this, and there were some nice notes in the manuscript about things I changed the last time around, saying that this was a really good revision and she liked the result.

So maybe I'll remove one of those pins from the voodoo doll.

Last night's kindergarten choir was rather fraught. One kid burst into tears when he didn't get to do what he wanted to do and had to do what he didn't want to do (sing). He claimed he didn't know how to sing, so he didn't want to. I think he was mostly just tired, and the exhaustion came out in tears. He's in kindergarten and already playing multiple sports, plus doing church activities at two churches (he actually goes to another church, but his mother is friends with our organist, so they do music stuff at our church). It was one of those times when it was best to just let him sit aside and cry until he got it out of his system, and then he seemed to be a lot better and back to his usual self. I just have one more normal session with them, then the program where they sing for the parents, and then I'm free!!!! I also get done with my choir earlier this year, so we may get a longer summer break.

It's getting warm, so I took the big comforter off the bed yesterday and put on the new knitted bedspread. And then I noticed that there's a goof in there where I got off the pattern briefly in a couple of spots, so there are unintentional stripes. It's not really obvious and it took me a while to even notice or figure out the problem, but now it bugs me. I keep saying that it would be a huge amount of work to undo it to that point and fix it, and I have something else on those needles at the moment, and since I'm currently using it, it would be a bad time to take several weeks to fix it, but I have a feeling that it might get reworked next fall. I might make it a little longer, while I'm at it.

Here's the foot of it, showing the border. If you look really closely, you can kind of see the shadow of the unintentional stripe near the top.

No comments: