Monday, April 28, 2014

All that Jazz

After a fun weekend, I have to plunge back into revisions today. I'm going to re-read the whole book and make sure the latest changes flow and don't create any continuity ripple effects.

I spent all day Saturday at a jazz festival -- twelve hours straight of sitting under a tree, listening to jazz. Mostly big band, though most of that was more modern than the classic "swing." There were a few smaller ensembles in the morning, including one that focused on dance music of the 20s and 30s, which meant some different instrumentation. They had a tuba instead of a string or electric bass, a banjo instead of guitar, they had a violin, and they used a lot of clarinet in addition to saxophone. I really wanted to do the Charleston.

There was a really cute and very talented Swedish trombone player who was in several of the groups, and I kind of wanted him wrapped up to-go, until I realized he was probably half my age. That was depressing.

I also got my special-occasion funnel cake (I only ever get them at events like this) and a burger grilled by the Elks Club.

Of course, I was drained the next day, but the choir had the weekend off (which is good because I had no voice).

This week, in addition to finishing revisions, I have to get the voice in really good shape because next weekend is my Sunday of much singing. I have the soprano solo in the choir anthem, with much of my part going above the staff. Then I'm singing lead in a women's ensemble -- in Spanish. A capella. Actually, the Spanish isn't so hard for me. I wouldn't say I speak or understand Spanish, but I can read it and pronounce it, so I know what I'm saying and how to say it.

It's also my final real week of children's choir, and I've already got fun stuff planned. So, on with the week!

No comments: