Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Girlfriends Cyber Circuit Presents Alison Pace

My house looks like a small tornado blew through it, but I'm packed and ready to go, and I figure I'll have that much more incentive to clean when I get home if it smacks me in the face when I return.

So, while I'm gone, I'll leave you with this entry for the Girlfriends Cyber Circuit, with my guest Alison Pace, author of the new novel Pug Hill.

To get into the most elite spot of Manhattan’s Central Park, there are a few stiff requirements: you must have short legs, a round tummy, a pig nose, and walk on all fours—or at least know someone who does! Pug Hill is a place for pugs and pug-lovers alike to bask in the camaraderie that comes from owning (or dreaming of owning) one of the world’s most cherished and irresistible dogs.

Author Alison Pace has been to Pug Hill and she knows first-hand the joy and stress-relief that these tiny pooches offer. Now, the author of the hilarious If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend introduces readers to the congregants of Pug Hill in a novel that’s as full of love, humor, and heartwarmingly-awkward moments as the adorable dogs themselves.

I suspect that after I read this book, I'll have to ask my dog-owning friends to tell me their horror stories of chewed-up belongings and messes left on carpets to talk me out of getting a dog. Considering the state my house is already in and the fact that there are days when I forget to feed myself, I don't think dog ownership is such a good idea for me right now.

So, the interview:

What inspired you to write this book?
My love of dogs.

What, if anything, do you have in common with the heroine of this book?
Well, the above love of dogs, and I also have a fear of public speaking, though not nearly as bad as Hope's (my heroine)

Do you own a pug or any other kind of dog? Any cute dog stories from your own life?
I, sadly, do not own a pug. I guess that's something else I have in common with Hope, too. I'm planning on getting one this summer when I finally move out of my non dog friendly apartment building. I can't wait.

I grew up with about four dogs in my home at any given time, so mine is a life filled with dog stories. A few of the dogs I grew up with make guest appearances on the pages of Pug Hill. It was so fun for me to include them.

How has your writing life changed since your first book was published?
I have more time to write, and I feel a lot guiltier now when I don't write. I have deadlines now, too. I always used to think "deadlines" sounded very cool, and professional, and journalistic in spirit. Now that I actually work within the confines of them, I don't think that as much anymore.

Was it easier or more difficult to write the second book?
Much more difficult to write the second one. The first one was everything that was joyous about writing. I struggled a lot more with the second, but I do very much feel that it was worth it in the end.

What are you working on now?
Right now, I'm working on not checking my Amazon ranking seventeen times a day. And I'm working on a third novel, too. It's called Through Thick And Thin. I'm not exactly sure when it will be finished. It's farther from my mind right now than it should be...

For more info on Alison and her books, visit her web site.

And now I'm off until Sunday. If I can figure it out, I may try to post to LiveJournal via my cell phone text messaging (if I get really bored).

No comments: