Sunday, August 21, 2011

Maxed out on Fun

I pretty much ran out of steam Saturday evening. It was about the time I needed to get dressed for the Hugo award ceremony, and I found myself thinking that I wasn't up for an award, and while I had friends up for awards, it wasn't as though I'd get anywhere near them at the ceremony. And then there's the fact that I kind of hate ceremonies like that. So I decided to skip the ceremony. I spent a pleasant evening in my room, listening to music and reading while drinking tea, and every so often I'd look online to see who'd won the various awards. When they announced the last award, I got dressed and went to the post-ceremony parties.

On that final night, I stayed up until 1:30, but some of that was reading because I was right at the part where Our Heroes were in the impossible situation they couldn't get out of, and I didn't want to try to sleep until I knew how they got out of it. I was still up early enough this morning to go to the morning church service and went to a panel. Then I had a nice chat over lunch with an Australian fan before I decided I was done and went back to my room. I spent some time in the pool and hot tub, then had dinner with a friend and then called it a night. They've been showing the recent Les Miserables concert on PBS (pledge drive), and that's been good background noise for packing, aside from the sad times when that poor Jonas brother is trying to keep up with the rest of that cast.

I must say that I'm more than ready to be home. This has been fun, but I may have reached the limits of my capacity for fun. I'm also eager to get back to work. I may be physically tired, but that may have something to do with being mentally energized. I've got a long day ahead of me, though, as the time difference means I'll be traveling all day, getting home just in time for dinner after leaving shortly after breakfast.

I'll do more detailed posts about the content of what I saw and heard at the convention later in the week.

No comments: