Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The End of the TV Season

We've had a nice stormy morning, the kind of day when it's so dark outside that I had to turn on the light in my office -- the room where one whole wall is glass doors and with a skylight above. It's also cool enough that I had to put a hoodie on over my sundress. I love this kind of day, but it isn't very productive. I just want to drink tea and enjoy the atmosphere.

I'm not really sure what to talk about today because I know you don't want to read my to-do list, which makes me want to hide under my desk with a bag of M&Ms and fear that I'll never get things done if I do that. And you don't want to hear me whine about how much e-mail is in my in-box, and how it keeps getting worse because I'm now getting the "did you get my e-mail?" e-mails.

I wrote this whole rant about a topic I'll deal with later, then deleted it because I didn't really feel like getting into it right now. I'm in this weird state where I can't stop my brain from churning over things, but they're the wrong things to be churning over at the moment. I think writing the rant helped, and then I'll edit it later and it will make a good entry. Maybe I should try writing out all the other stuff going around in my brain and see if that helps clear my head.

The TV season is now essentially over, except for the Sci Fi channel, which has its own schedule. I don't like to think of how much of my life is centered around TV, but suddenly not having anything new for a while shows how empty my schedule becomes without it, and it seems like most of my favorite shows ended in such a way that I want to see what happens next, in a big way, without them necessarily being real cliffhangers. It was more the sense of change, that everything will be different going forward, that they left with, and I like that. I've usually found the "character in immediate peril" cliffhangers annoying, especially because they make continuity a challenge. The next episode is supposed to have started a split second later, and yet everyone's slightly different, with subtle changes in things like hair and weight. Meanwhile, once the cliffhanger is resolved, it's not like the situation for the characters has really changed (and so often, the cliffhanger resolution turns out to be very lame -- Mulder trapped in the burning boxcar, anyone?). My favorite season enders are those that give you the feeling that even after the situation is resolved, nothing will be the same again, and you'll get to see the characters dealing with that aftermath.

Unfortunately, that's what kicks off my writer's brain, so I find myself mentally crafting the aftermath. Then I have to remind myself that they're not my characters, and I'm not being paid to dream up what happens next. I'm supposed to be writing my own stuff. Though today it's more like I'm supposed to be writing about innovative approaches to cancer treatment, so I'd better get on that.

In other news, how well do you know Enchanted, Inc.? A reader named Holly created this quiz to test your knowledge. I scored 100, but I'd be worried if I didn't, since I wrote it. Still, there were a couple of answers I had to think about, but it has been a while since I wrote that book.

And now to go slog through cancer genetics. They won't even let me throw in a gargoyle, so that's no fun at all.

No comments: