Sunday, January 01, 2006

Welcome 2006

So, it's 2006 and thanks to the hot, dry, windy weather, I'm enjoying a fun mountain cedar attack. That particular allergy has a weird effect on me. Yeah, there's the sniffling, sneezing and coughing and itchy, watery eyes, but there's also this strange fatigue that makes me feel like someone turned the gravity up to "high." Needless to say, I haven't exactly been a party animal. I did stay up to see in the new year, and I made sure I was writing at the stroke of midnight. Maybe it's superstitious, or maybe it just sets a mental precedent, but I'd like to think that the way I began the year will have something to do with the way the year progresses.

Today, though, has been a little lazier. I read the newspaper and worked the Sunday crosswords -- even finishing the New York Times puzzle in spite of the fuzzy mountain cedar brain. I cooked the traditional black eyed peas, turnip greens and cornbread, then settled on the sofa for a bit of cultural whiplash. TCM was showing To Kill a Mockingbird, followed immediately by the original The Producers. I'm trying to imagine two less thematically compatible movies, but it's not coming to me.

Tonight's plan is to get some more writing done and finally finish chapter nine (I had a great brainstorm about it last night), then relax a little with a book and maybe a bubble bath. And then tomorrow I'm really going to try to kick in all those clean-slate new behaviors. I know it's a holiday for most, but I can't afford to give myself the day off, as much work as I need to get done. I will watch the Tournament of Roses Parade in the morning (gotta see the Longhorn Band come down the street), but the afternoon will be devoted to work (really).

No comments: