Monday, December 12, 2016

The Post-Weekend Weekend

I had one of those "I need a weekend to recover from the weekend" kind of weekends. I had a luncheon with a book club I frequently meet with on Saturday, and then a club meeting (it's a social club, which means that a "meeting" is a potluck at someone's house, where we hang out with friends and plan the stuff we'll do). I also had to bake a couple of batches of cookies for something to bring to the meeting and for the church's cookie sale. Sunday, my children's choir was singing in the early service, so I had to get up early, but wouldn't you know, I had one of those 4 a.m. insomnia bouts where I was awake enough to know I was conscious but not awake enough to do anything, and I finally fell back asleep about half an hour before my alarm went off.

The kids did a great job, and were mostly well-behaved. My biggest problem was replaced with a pod person, which was wonderful. He's usually the one getting hauled out into the hallway for throwing things, hitting other people, and generally being out of control, but he was a proper little gentleman who was telling me I needed to get the others to be quiet and was demonstrating how to stand in a straight line. He stood perfectly still and sang out beautifully. Maybe it was the tie. I should require him to come wearing a tie on Wednesday nights. But then there was the children's sermon right after they sang, with the children's minister talking about the Advent wreath and asking what symbols on it there were. One of our kids shouted out "Fire!" So, yeah, that was more normal. I'd been worried about how fascinated a couple of the kids were with the candles while they sang. They were edging in that direction.

Then I had to sing with the choir for the late service. I had a few hours to eat lunch, read the newspaper, and make soup before going back for rehearsals, then a choir potluck soup supper (thus the soup), then the Christmas concert, and then I rushed home to refrigerate the soup leftovers (on the downside, my veggie soup wasn't really popular, but on the upside, I won't have to cook lunch this week!) before heading out to go to a friend's birthday party. There was some rather epic karaoke, and I will admit to showing off a wee bit. I hit a rather abrupt wall around 10 and came home, but then it took me a long time to wind down and actually get to sleep.

I let myself sleep very late today, and I normally would give myself the day off, but I have a book releasing tomorrow, so I need to do some promo work today. I may not try to get any writing done unless I feel very inspired. I also have a lot of cleaning to do, since my kitchen looks like I was only home long enough over the weekend to bake cookies and make soup.

But it gets easier from here. I'm done with children's choir until after the holidays. We have the travelers' Christmas Eve service Wednesday (an early Christmas Eve service for those who'll be out of town) and a short choir rehearsal, then Friday is Star Wars day, and then I have a party Saturday night. I suspect Sunday after church I will crawl into a cave for a little while and do some serious writing.

No comments: