Thursday, August 13, 2015

Surviving Kindergarten

I have survived music and art camp. It actually wasn't too bad this year. The kids were a lot easier to control and better at following directions. It was odd that I didn't know most of them, and I know all the kids in that age group who go to my church, since I help with Sunday school for that group. It turns out that another church in town sent a big group of kids to this camp. I did quip to the director that it didn't say much for our kids if the kids who came from other churches were better behaved and easier to deal with.

Someone knew what they were doing in putting together the kindergarten team. Today I wore my "I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away" t-shirt, one of the teen helpers was wearing a Sherlock shirt, and another was wearing a "Weasley's Wizard Wheezes" shirt. So we were the geek squad.

I think my biggest "awwww" moment came with one of the twins in my group. There were a boy and girl who were fraternal twins, and they came with a close friend who seemed to be practically another sister. The three of them stuck together like glue. We have a short snack/recess time on the playground, and the swings are these tire-like things that fit three kids on each swing. The little boy twin approached me early in the recess period, while the other kids were still eating their snack, and asked if I could push him on the swing by himself. "Sometimes I really like being alone," he told me, quite solemnly. I told him I totally understood. I can't imagine what it would be like to be a twin and want alone time. Unfortunately, he barely had any time on the swing by himself before his sister and their friend hurried over to join him. Today he told me that I reminded him of his Aunt Beth. I'm going to take that as a compliment.

I am now really understanding the parents who are excited about the return to school. I saw this piece on having a sense of humor about the first day of school and could relate, even after just a week with kids. It reminds me of my retired teacher parents who talk about enjoying thumbing their noses at the school bus in the morning now that they don't have to go to school.

But I now have just a few days before I head to WorldCon, and the epic to-do list is being pared. I may have been overly ambitious. I do think I'm going to indulge in a new phone, though. My "smart" phone is nearly five years old, and I kind of hate it. I'm thinking of getting an iPhone since I use a Mac anyway. Having easier e-mail access and being able to Tweet on the fly might be a good thing for this trip.

No comments: