Thursday, April 16, 2015

Caution: Choir Geekery

I made it through both children's choir and regular choir rehearsal last night, so I think I'm going to declare myself more or less well. I guess that means I now have to clean my house. It seems to have fallen into squalor while I was lying on the sofa with a tissue box.

And I need to get back to writing. I have that scene I need to fix before I can move forward.

Right now, I'm listening to John Rutter being interviewed on the radio. This weekend, he's conducting a world premiere of a new piece in Dallas, and our church choir is taking a field trip. He's one of my favorite composers, and definitely my favorite choral composer. This piece was commissioned by a local church choir, and I think if I'd known about this, I might have switched choirs for a while to sing with them for this. They're also doing his Requiem in this concert, and I love that Requiem. We sang that in a choir I was in about twenty years ago, and I still use the "Pie Jesu" from that piece as a way of working on my upper register.

But I'm not quite back to full strength for singing, as I'm finding singing along with the pieces they're playing in between bits of the interview a little challenging.

I now really want to listen to the entire Requiem, but it's hard to listen to that sort of thing while writing because I want to sing along.

No comments: