Friday, October 17, 2014

Series Names

I got to the end of the rewrites, and now I want to go back over the section I rewrote and make a few tweaks. I'm sure there are still some rough edges that need to be smoothed out. I do think this has been an improvement, but I'm not sure that I've yet taken full advantage of the improvement.

I got a start on looking at the interior of the next book. It's a really nice design, so that looks good. I just need to check for any weird little quirks that might have happened, like funky hyphenation.

I may indulge myself tomorrow, though. A local ballet company is doing Sleeping Beauty. I've never seen that one, but I love the music, and ballet counts as research for the books I'm working on. I can even take the train to downtown Fort Worth so I don't have to worry about the drive. Too bad they closed the Barnes & Noble across the street from the performance hall. That used to be the best way to kill time before or after a show. I haven't pulled the trigger on buying a ticket yet, though. There's a good chance that I will have a sudden case of hermitism and just want to stay home and work, since I have so much to do. It depends on how much I get done today, I suppose. I'm making a quick trip to visit my parents on Sunday, so there's a lot to be done before then.

One thing I'm still struggling with is a name for the series as a whole. My agent thinks it's important and is concerned about how easy it is to say, especially when combined with the titles of the individual books. I don't think it's as big a deal because people are going to call it what they want to call it anyway, and it's probably either going to be the name of the main character or the name of the first book. Since I don't think it's that big a deal, I guess my heart hasn't been in it to come up with names. One that I liked and that seemed to fit turned out to be awkward if you insist on phrasing it like "BOOK TITLE, Book one of the SERIES TITLE series." But who really talks like that? Is this something that you actually care about or pay attention to? Do you notice if there's an official title for a series? How do you refer to a series?

No comments: