Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall TV So Far

Yesterday's "revision" work was mostly "re-reading and fixing word choices" because I'm not yet at the part that's going to require major surgery. And, you know? I really like this book. I love the characters, and I think there's some really snappy dialogue.

I think I've also come up with a series title. We'll see what my agent thinks about it. It was one of those things that just popped into my head while I was thinking about something else (which is usually the best way to come up with stuff like this -- the things you come up with when you're focusing and thinking really hard are usually more obvious and forced). Of course, I immediately wrote it down, but I still remember it, which means it could be a good idea.

On the entertainment front, I have to say that I've really fallen for Forever, which I hadn't planned to watch. I'd call it a cross between New Amsterdam (the show a few years ago about the immortal New York cop) and Elementary (the "modern Sherlock in New York" show). So we've got the long-lived guy who'd kind of like to just age normally and die like everyone else, and his long life and observational skills have given him the Sherlock-like ability to notice details, know the facts behind those details, and make quick deductions. Like in New Amsterdam, he's got the fatherly figure who's actually his son, though in this case it's an adopted son. When he was a medical officer in the military in WWII and his unit liberated a concentration camp, he found a newborn baby who was miraculously still alive and apparently adopted him or somehow brought him up. We don't know the whole story there yet. His partner is a recently widowed and still grieving detective. I'm sure it will eventually grow romantic between them, because this is American TV, but I think I'd be okay with that in this case. While there are some clashes and some bickering, it's not the "I hate you but we have so much sexual tension" thing that American TV likes to do. He's lost someone he loves (again, we've only seen hints), so he gets what she's going through, and it seems like they'll develop a friendship before anything gets at all romantic. Basically, this is a warm fuzzy show for me. It's got a charm to it that I enjoy.

While I did rant about some of the plot lines they're doing this season on Once Upon a Time, last week's episode was pretty good, since there was almost no Regina and none of that icky plotline. I like the way they're developing the romance between Captain Hook and Emma. They did become friends first, and now that they're getting romantic, there's a tenderness between them that I find rather sweet. What's frustrating about this show is that just when they do something that makes me want to turn off the TV and never watch it again, they turn right around and do something I love.

I'm not even sure what the heck is going on with Haven, but I'm along for the ride. Unfortunately, they've moved it again, to 6 p.m. in my time zone. Apparently, they belatedly realized that it was a bad idea to schedule one of their few original dramas opposite Thursday night football and didn't have anywhere else to put it. So I guess it will be a "dinner" show tonight, and then I can either go back to work or watch something OnDemand.

I'm also still iffy on Doctor Who this season. It was instant love with the previous Doctor, and while there's a lot I like about the new one, he hasn't yet really grown on me. I think one of my issues is that there's a constant "soldiers are terrible people and probably pretty stupid" refrain that's been going on, and since I come from a military family, that rubs me the wrong way, and then that puts my hackles up so I'm resistant to everything else. I think I just need to sit down and marathon some episodes and see if I build any momentum. This is the first time I've been able to watch "live" instead of having to wait for it to show up OnDemand or wait for friends to provide episodes for me, so maybe there's less of a sense of anticipation.

But before I can start my early TV time tonight, I need to get back to my revisions. Or the re-reading until I get to the point i need to rewrite. Groceries have been obtained, so I'm ready to get down to work.

No comments: