Thursday, June 12, 2014

Almost There!

I made a lot of progress yesterday, but I'm still not done with the big, climactic scene. It's turning into a real showdown. Since today will be a shorter working day, as will tomorrow, it's looking more and more likely that I'll need to skip my Saturday plans. By then, I should be down to one good day's work to finish this draft, and I'd rather keep the momentum going instead of taking a whole day off.

Normally by this point, there's some other book that starts bouncing around in my brain to distract me. This time, it's vacation plans. Or hypothetical vacation plans. I find myself wanting to research places to go. I have a spot in my calendar in late August when I could get away briefly, but I'm not sure if I will be tired of convention travel. I like traveling in the fall, but I'm still thinking of that as a good time for the research trip, and after that trip I might not want to travel for a vacation. You see why I've spent so many years talking about this hypothetical vacation without actually having taken it. Maybe if I make it a late fall vacation, I can go somewhere closer and do more of an outdoorsy retreat thing -- a bit of hiking, a lot of sitting around, reading and enjoying the scenery. There are some minor mountains in Oklahoma not too far from here.

Tonight, a group of women from church are going to see Mamma Mia. I've seen it before, but I'm a huge ABBA fan, so it's good to just hear the music, and it should be interesting seeing it with a multigenerational group of women. Of course, wouldn't you know it, a line of possibly severe storms is set to hit our area right about the time we're meeting up to head to the train station. However, the local former TV weather geek (taking time off to work on his doctorate but still posting weather stuff online) just amended the forecast. He thinks the storms will actually flare up to the east of us so we don't get the serious stuff. I'm mostly worried about having my car out in the station parking lot, but glad not to be parked at the music hall. The last time a really big storm hit during a production there, a wave of water came through the parking lot and washed all the cars there up against a fence. Now there's a train that runs just from the edge of our town right up to the music hall entrance. That would have made things so much easier when I had season tickets.

Now, though, I'm going to take advantage of a gap in the radar to run to the post office and then get to work. Rainy days are good for productivity.

No comments: