Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Attack of the Huge Shoulders

I managed some housework yesterday. I washed dishes, did some dusting and got through part of the "there was something in here I wanted to clip, I think" newspaper stack (my house would stay significantly cleaner if I could make myself get into the habit of clipping things when I see them). I made the tweaks I needed to make in the book. I think I'm going to send it to the editor today after I re-read the parts I tweaked. Otherwise, I did some reading.

I've realized that I'm behind on my reading for the year, and I can't blame writing because I haven't written an entire book, start to finish, this year. I started a book, and it's highly unlikely it will be finished before the end of the year. Otherwise, I've done revisions on three books. My writing time count is down a lot for the year. I may have to blame the new knitting obsession because it fills some time I used to devote to reading, since I used to read while I watched TV. That's less of an option these days because of my changing eyesight, which was one reason I got back into knitting.

Really, I don't have a lot to show for this year, work-wise. I got a book published and sold a book, and then I started writing a book. I would say that once I get this book off, I'm going to dive back into the one I've been working on, but I don't know if that will happen this week. After looking at the weather forecast, I think I'm really going to need a good coat this weekend, so a shopping trip is in order.

It's not just my winter coat that's a relic of the early 90s. I got a new hat that I'd like to wear at the convention this weekend, and I was trying on some things that would go with it. I dug out a really cute suit jacket from circa 1993-1994. I hadn't realized what linebacker shoulder pads it had. Yikes. The shoulders extend a good two inches beyond my actual shoulders. I would say it's a candidate for the donation bin, but it would be cruel to inflict this on someone else. I'd have to snip the lining seams to remove the shoulder pads, but then the shoulder seams would come practically to my elbows. I may just have to give up on this jacket, which is otherwise really cute. I thought the 80s were the era of big shoulders, but it doesn't seem to have abated until at least 1995. I think I need to spend a couple of days trying on everything in my closet and purging it because I don't seem to have an accurate image of my clothes when I just look at them on hangers. I would never have discarded this jacket, but now that I've put it on I know I wouldn't wear it in public again. In my neighborhood, it could get dangerous, as desperate as the Dallas Cowboys are for defensive linemen. I might find myself drafted while getting my oil changed (I always seem to run into coaches there).

No comments: