Monday, October 10, 2011

Restless Rainy Sunday

I got my rainy Sunday, though there wasn't as much reading and tea drinking as I had planned because I fell asleep on the sofa. But even an unplanned nap is a good thing on a cool, rainy Sunday. It's still cool and cloudy, so this may be a productive day. Or there may be another sofa nap.

I got my Blu-Ray player, and I found a bargain copy of the original Terminator movie on Blu-Ray. I still just had that one on VHS, so I figured an upgrade was in order. That's actually a fairly grainy movie, so the Blu-Ray doesn't make a lot of difference, but I found that the upconverting on regular DVDs makes a huge difference. With regular DVDs, when something is dark, it's pretty murky on the LCD screen, but on the Blu-Ray I can see actual details. I amused myself Friday evening by watching bits of random space shows on DVD. I sense a Firefly marathon in my near future. Rewatching parts of Battlestar Galactica brought me great amusement because of where I've seen the actors recently. It was a jolt hearing Jamie Bamber's American accent again -- and seeing him alive (does his character have to die in almost everything?). Just last week I saw the too-good-to-be-true Helo (or as I started calling him, Halo) as an intolerant, fairly bloodthirsty bad guy on Haven. And these days we're more likely to see Boomer on a surfboard. Ah, good times.

I still haven't watched an entire show or movie on the new player, though. I was strangely restless and couldn't really focus on an entire movie or episode of anything, though I have watched the Phineas & Ferb Halloween special three times. That's about the level of my attention span at the moment. I'd think about watching something, and it all felt like too much of a commitment, so I'd watch the cartoon that comes in at about 20 minutes total, once you skip past all the promos for the hideous Disney Channel sitcoms. Memo to the Disney TV people: The fact that it's meant for children doesn't mean it can't be good. The over-the-top acting that comes across like a hideous cross between a mime and a cheerleader is not necessary.

I had something all ranty planned to talk about today, but now I can't remember what it was. That's probably for the best.

No comments: