Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

I way overslept this morning, in part probably because I'd had two late nights in a row -- a Halloween party and then reading a book where I was sooo close to finishing, and it was the end of a trilogy, so I was not only waiting for the resolution of the story but for the resolution of the characters' lives -- and probably in part because I was just too comfortable to get up. And actually, I wasn't truly sleeping for the last hour and a half or so. I was just lying there, thinking and daydreaming and being way too comfortable to bother getting out of bed. And then I looked at the clock and freaked out because I had no idea it was that late.

So, the Halloween costume for the year. It was a theme party this year, with a focus on 1950s science fiction movies. I did a sort of space vixen spaceship crew member thing the way they tended to be represented in movies from the 50s and 60s, where the men might be in very practical, functional uniforms, but the women wore high heels and cat suits. It doesn't show in the picture, but I had my hair in a bundle of looped braids, kind of like Princess Leia in The Empire Strikes Back. The original plan was to wear the pleather pants, but they're extremely uncomfortable (as I said, like wearing a sauna) and didn't give the sleek look I wanted, so I got very brave and wore leggings in public with a sweater that only came to my waist.



At the party we watched some 50s movies, including the Mystery Science Theatre version of This Island Earth and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Now I finally have that project I've been waiting on for two weeks -- naturally, on the day I think it would be good to clean house -- so I have serious, urgent work to do. It's a good thing I had a fun weekend.

No comments: