Friday, June 26, 2009

Up and Away

I finished my revisions yesterday -- except for the end which I'm still not happy with. I think I know what's wrong with it, but I don't yet know how to fix it. To celebrate, give my brain a break and maybe inspire myself, I went with my friends to see Up.

Pixar has done it again. The thing I love about their movies is that even though they involve technical wizardry, they're first and foremost about the story and characters, and they never lose sight of that. They also manage to be emotionally engaging without being melodramatic or manipulative. This one had me alternately bawling and laughing myself silly. I went through two tissues from the weeping, and they were the super-strong Puffs Plus. This will be a DVD must-buy.

We also hit a used bookstore in a college town, so I was able to get a stack of books on Jungian psychology as it applies to folklore (and vice versa). I think I got what must have been the reading list for a course because I never see these books in other stores and my library doesn't have them. I'd been searching for books by these authors and had a list of the ones I wanted and the ones the library had, so I was able to cross-reference to get the right ones. I'm not sure what I'll do with them all (aside from the obvious -- read them), but I think a lot of this will play into that misty idea.

But now I'm tired because it was really hot to be out and about. I stopped for gas at a 7-11 on the way home and decided that a Slurpee was mandatory, but it's been so long since I had a Slurpee that I'd forgotten how to work the Slurpee machine, and I had to follow the lead of someone else who was there. That probably says something really sad about my life.

No comments: