Thursday, November 16, 2006

Girlfriends Cyber Circuit Presents Lola Douglas

Ah, yesterday was such a lovely, blustery day. I got next to nothing accomplished, but I thoroughly enjoyed spending the afternoon curled up with a good book, a pot of tea and some great music. I'll chat about the book tomorrow, but today is a Girlfriends Cyber Circuit day.

My guest is Lola Douglas, author of True Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet, which just came out in paperback, and the new sequel, More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet.

In the first book, teen star Morgan Carter's mom is trying to kill her. At least, that's what Morgan thinks when she's sent to Ft. Wayne, Indiana, after a near overdose outside LA's Viper Room.

Morgan's going to recover out of the spotlight. Way out. She's given a major make-under, a new name, and a completely different identity. Morgan's plan? To write a tell-all book about her experience and stage a comeback. But when this LA girl finds love and a new life in Middle America, will she abandon it for another shot at superstardom?

In the sequel, just when Morgan Carter was falling in love with the simple life she'd built in Fort Wayne, Indiana, her true identity as an infamous Hollywood starlet was exposed. Now Morgan has a choice to make: return to her glamorous movie star existence--or stick with the wholesome life, and the new love, she's found in the Midwest.

And now, the interview:
What was the inspiration behind these books?
I wanted to write a diary format book. And, of course, I wanted to try something that hadn't been done before.
Did you have a particular starlet in mind when you created your heroine?
Yeah, Drew Barrymore. I've always been fascinated with her, even back when I was a wee tot.

(I still have a hard time connecting today's Drew Barrymore to the little girl in ET. But that's not as freaky to me as the fact that Henry Thomas is now playing romantic leading man roles. I'll see him in movies and think he's really cute and love his character, and then a little voice in the back of my brain says, "That's the little kid from ET," and then I feel like a dirty old woman.)

Aside from the fame and celebrity ;-) do you have anything else in common with your heroine?
I can relate to Drew on many levels - maybe not the acting stuff, but the relationships she had with each of her parents is similar to the ones I had with mine.

Do you follow Hollywood gossip, read tabloids and that kind of thing, for research or for fun?
For fun, of course! I mean, even if I didn't write books about starlets, I'd still be the kind of person to freak out on election night when discovering that Britney Spears chose that day to quietly file for divorce from K-Fed.

What are you working on now?
A non-STARLET book. This time about a girl named Gretchen and a TV show called SILVER SPRING. That's about all I can say, though. :)

Is there anything else you'd like to say about these books or the process of writing them?
Just that they're so fun to write. I'm a big fan of chick lit, but especially brainy chick lit with soul. So that's kind of what I went for with the Starlet books. One of the comments I get most often is that there's more substance in them than the reader had expected. I take that as a huge compliment.

For more info on Lola or her books, visit her web site.

And now off to attempt to accomplish something. Today's missions: get groceries and clean the kitchen floor.

No comments: