Friday, March 08, 2013

The Joy of a Clean House

Public service reminders of the day: Remember the time change is this weekend. Also, tonight Grimm is back! It's been gone so long that this is like a season premiere. I've rewatched the last few episodes OnDemand, so I remember what was going on, but it seems like forever since we had new episodes.

My house is now more or less livably clean. It's not quite party clean or even visit from Mom clean, but it's at the point where I can sit on the sofa with a book and not feel the nagging sense that I should be doing housework. Every time I get my house clean, I realize how much I enjoy it this way and wonder why I don't keep it this way. I think the reason is that while I like the house being clean, I'd rather read, write, sleep, watch TV, talk about TV on the Internet or do any of a dozen other things rather than do housework. I'm not quite at the financial level where I can hire a maid, and I'm not sure how well that would work anyway. I don't like the idea of someone else messing with my stuff, and I'd feel compelled to clean frantically before the maid arrived so she wouldn't think I was a slob. Maybe someday I'll get to the point of having a monthly cleaner to do the heavy-duty stuff, which might motivate me to keep things moderately neat in between times.

The upstairs is still a disaster because of being midway through the office reorg project. And I still need to do a good spring cleaning. But I've made a start and I can relax this weekend. Well, sort of. It's a busy weekend. Today, hiking. Tomorrow, a gathering with friends. But when I'm home, I can relax, read and knit.

Now off to gather my hiking gear. It's a perfect day for it, just the right balance between warm and cool and a little overcast. It feels kind of like England. Though if we run into sheep or a castle, I'll be worried. Armadillos, yes. Sheep, no.

No comments: