Monday, August 27, 2012

The Daunting To-Do List

Since I'm heading out of town in a couple of days, this is going to be a very busy week. I've got an intimidating to-do list, since I have a couple of business items that must be done before I leave in order to get that Much Ado About Magic paperback ready to go and book 6, No Quest for the Wicked, ready for electronic release. Today I took care of the last-minute errands, and I had to keep reminding myself that I'm going to be downtown in a major city. I'm not going to the uncharted wilds. If I forget something or run out of something, there are two big chain drugstores within a couple of blocks of the hotel. There's also a branch of my bank just down the street. I don't have to bring absolutely everything with me to survive on my own for a week.

I'd planned to indulge myself and actually pay to check my bag so I don't have to worry about restricting what I bring. And then I started putting things in my suitcase and realized that I can probably fit it all in my smallest bag, and even getting wacky with toiletries, I still don't fill the Ziplock bag. There's a lot I can do with $50 (to check a bag each way), so I may be wrestling with a carry-on, after all, since it doesn't look like it will be a hardship. It's funny how that one little thing has triggered all my stubborn Scottishness and actually limited the amount of air travel I do because I don't want to pay to check a bag and I don't want to deal with fighting over overhead bin space.

Now I just have to deal with the startling amount of fresh produce I have in the refrigerator. I'll be having a few fruit salads this week, I think.

Some TV updates:
Soon after I posted last Monday about the Doctor Who season premiere, they changed the date. It will be this coming Saturday, Sept. 1 (take note, Mom). Of course, I'll be at WorldCon, where the odds of the hotel TV system having BBC America are next to none, but I suspect there will be ways of viewing it. To set the stage, they've done a web series that's a prequel to this season, letting us know what the Doctor's been up to since we last saw him and what Amy and Rory do when they aren't traveling with the Doctor.Here's the first episode.

I've also discovered BBC America's new series, Copper, which is a police procedural set in 1860s New York. That's a time period and setting I've read a bit about, so I find it interesting on that level. I don't yet know what I think about the series, though. There are several characters I can't quite tell apart. Two of them I think are supposed to be brothers, so that makes some sense, but I spent a lot of the first episode never knowing which guy I was seeing was the hero and getting them mixed up. I may have to watch it again when I have time. I don't know when that will be!

Now I must go and see if there's anything I can cross off the to-do list from this morning, and then I must tackle the urgent items for today.

No comments: