Monday, January 31, 2011

Stocking Up for the Storm

They're forecasting a big cold snap and winter storm for tomorrow, so this morning I had to go out and stock up, just in case. Because I have my priorities in order, that means I went to the library, since I'd finished all my books. But I seem to be in a weird reading mood, so that nothing on the shelves really caught my eye. I already had everything I wanted to read. I ended up with only one book and one DVD, but with a reading list of books I own. This afternoon I'll do the grocery shopping part of winter stocking up. I'm almost out of cocoa, and that's crucial if there's going to be ice or snow. I also think I have the first ticklings of a lurking cold, and if I stock up on good cold remedy stuff, that will probably hold it off. Without plenty of chicken soup, I'm bound to get sicker.

In other news, I finished my first draft Saturday night. Yay! I already know I'll need to rewrite the last chapter because I got excited and started just spewing out words. It's like when I read a book I'm really into. I always have to go back and re-read the last chapter or so right after finishing it because I was so eager to get to the end that I just skimmed over stuff. I figure it's a good sign if my heart starts racing when I get to the exciting part in a book as I write it. I'm going to give myself a bit of a break this week to shift mental gears and move on to the next project. I'm thinking chick flick marathon this afternoon. I don't think I have the brain power for anything else.

Meanwhile, today is the ninth anniversary of the day I got laid off from my last job. That means tomorrow it will have been nine years since I've worked for anyone but myself. I wasn't exactly sad to be laid off. I was expecting it, and I was kind of planning to quit anyway, so the layoff meant I got severance pay and the sympathy of all the clients who then hired me as a freelancer. Still, the way they did it and the circumstances leading up to it weren't ideal and I did have some anger about that. After doing all the paperwork and leaving the office for the last time, I indulged in a Harry Potter reading spree. I certainly hoped at the time that I could make flying solo work, but I don't think I realized then that I really could do without a regular job. I have to say, the job I have now has been the only one to really make me happy.

1 comment:

Chicory said...

Congratulations on getting the last chapter done!