Monday, February 22, 2010

A Case of the Mondays

So, it's Monday. Mondays really shouldn't be "Mondays" for me, since my daily routine doesn't change all that much between weekends and week days. I did stuff that could be counted as work this weekend, so it's not like I'm trudging to the salt mines after two days of leisure. Still, for whatever reason, I woke up with a bad case of the Mondays this morning, like I didn't want to face the week.

Funny thing is, I do want to face the week. I finally made it through rewriting the scene that turned into two scenes and that added a whole new layer to the plot, and now I'm at the point where I'll be plunging ahead into the unknown instead of rewriting old stuff. It's very exciting.

I've also had some breakthroughs on ideas for the next book I plan to write, which makes me eager to finish this one so that I can turn my full attention onto the next one. The next one will take tons of reading and research because I'm delving into something totally new for me.

However, it's gray and cold, and there's still more snow approaching. It's the kind of day when I want to curl up under a blanket with a good book and a pot of tea and read/doze. After a trip to the library (I have books due), I may convince myself that the good book I need to curl up with is the one I'm writing. I don't know about the dozing part. I think once I get into the writing, the urge to doze will disappear.

Meanwhile, I've been weeping my way through the Olympics. I don't know why this event makes me so emotional, but I cry when someone wins and I cry when someone loses. I'm just so proud of all these kids who have put so much work into getting to this point. I think I've got some serious empathic tendencies (or else an overactive imagination) because I keep feeling what it would be like to be in that position. I'll feel myself marching into the stadium behind my country's flag or standing on the podium with a medal, and for a moment, it's like I really am going through that. It's very weird, but it's quite useful as a writer to be able to drop into someone else's skin and feel what their life is like.

Now, off to the library.

No comments: