Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vacation Fail

I'm starting to see why I haven't taken a real vacation -- as in extended time off, without any work -- in forever. I totally fail at vacation. I'm not even really vacating yet. Part of it is that this comes right after crunching a book, so that I shoved everything else aside, which means I still have a lot of work and personal stuff to wrap up before I can really relax. Yesterday, I did one set of radio scripts (the writing I know I'm getting paid for, so that can't slide) and the research for another set. I didn't quite make it on the supply run because I was just too tired. I did manage a couple of hours of reading a book I didn't write, which was bliss.

Today, I have another set of radio scripts to do and a bunch of business and personal e-mail I need to reply to. The e-mail is going to be a problem because anything I got on my personal address before yesterday is trapped in my client that the server will no longer accept, so I'll have to copy addresses into web mail to reply. And now I really, really have to make that supply run, not just to have some fun vacation treats but also to have any food at all in the house. Plus I have to make a trip to the post office. I never thought of myself as a workaholic, but the work never really seems to go away entirely, even when I'm not actively working on a book.

If I stay quiet for the day and stay hydrated, my voice should be back enough to sing the soprano part of The Messiah tonight, so that's good.

And then tomorrow maybe I can enjoy true vacation. I was thinking that tomorrow might be my big day out -- maybe playing tourist locally, go to a museum, take the train somewhere. Right now, though, I kind of just want to hang around the house and chill. I think if I have the energy, going out would be a good idea because that will jolt the brain into the sense of it not being business as usual, and it would force me to stay away from the computer all day. Friday's supposed to be rainy, so I think that will be my curl-up-with-a-book day. I'm thinking Saturday I'll go hiking down to the river, and I might go for "Glee: The Live Version" because the local high school show choir has a concert.

But for now, I have to get some groceries. And answer e-mails. And write medical radio scripts.

No comments: