Friday, November 13, 2009

Not There Yet

I thought I would finish yesterday, but I didn't quite get there because I'm still not entirely sure of how the ending should go. When I called it a night last night, I was leaning toward something along the lines of "and then a bomb drops and everyone dies. The End." Or maybe a meteor. I still worked for more than six hours, and I even taped my usual Thursday TV to work instead, so I was a little mad at myself that I had so little to show for it. And then I realized that I probably wrote about twenty pages of new material, which isn't bad for a day's work. I also spent a lot of time on research, trying to find the right place for something to happen and to find details on that place once I decided on it. And then when I got to that point in the book, I changed my mind and used an entirely different place. Even though it's a place I know, I decided I'd better look it up, and sure enough, that place has changed pretty dramatically in the time frame the story covers (it involves finding something that was put there a while ago, so it has to be something that hasn't changed since then).

I think I may have figured out how the new ending should go. I'm going to review the stuff I wrote yesterday, and then I have some library books to return, so I'll walk to the library this afternoon and then maybe get a cup of tea and sit on the patio by the water for some brainstorming. Then I'll probably skip Stargate: Whatever tonight to write. And then I'll let myself take the weekend off entirely (I actually have social events on the calendar), then do my rapid re-read on Monday and then go on vacation.

I need to get some books out there to be sold because my biggest recurring dream/nightmare lately involves having to find a real job. The dreams have mostly been about going back to my old jobs or working with my former clients, but last night I was working in a school, and there was some kind of certification program for people coming to teaching from other careers that I was supposed to be doing, but I kept insisting that I was just a long-term substitute, that I wasn't interested in a teaching certificate. Let's just say that made for some nice motivation to get to work. I would make a lousy teacher.

No comments: