Monday, August 13, 2007

Stardust

I'm now back from my last convention trip of the summer, and I'm insanely glad to be home, although this was a really good trip. I'm just dead tired. I will now be able to be home for more than a month, which I haven't done since April. I went to the grocery store today and bought milk and produce that I will actually be home to eat before it goes bad.

I have lots I want to talk about, but I'm not so much with the forming coherent thoughts at the moment. But after a couple of weeks ago when people worried when I didn't post, I thought I'd let everyone know I was home. I will talk later about lots of stuff, I'm sure, but for now, I'm going to go collapse for a while.

But first, a public service announcement: Go see Stardust. Really. It's been about a year since I read the book, so I couldn't say how strictly faithful to the book the movie was, but nothing struck me as horribly wrong, and it gave me the same feeling the book did. It's sweet, charming, fun and magical and very swoonworthy. When Hollywood somehow accidentally manages to produce something fresh and original, for a change, we need to really support it if we want to see more things like it. If movies like this fail at the box office, then the executives will just shrug their shoulders and say, "Well, they say they want good, fresh, original stuff, but then they don't go see it, so why should we bother? Now, are there any more old 1970s or 1980s TV series we can turn into movies in a quasi-ironic way?"

Anyway, the movie inspired me to want to write something that makes people feel the same way -- that excitement/laughter/end with a sigh and a tiny tear in the eye. So ... Go. See. It.

Besides, if this funny, quirky fantasy does well at the box office, that raises the odds for other funny, quirky fantasy novels to be made into movies. Just sayin'.

No comments: