Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Holiday Fireworks

I am now at the 1/4 point of the new book. I was even really diligent and wrote on Saturday. I had grand plans for writing in spite of the July 4 holiday, but it seems that my brain really needs weekends. I ended up just watching some TV documentaries on a topic related to the book.

Though it may have had something to do with the lack of sleep the night before, which will also be an issue today. The smallish town near me did their fireworks on Sunday night, and that's the show I went to. There were some people in the neighborhood shooting off their own when I got home (in spite of that being illegal), and then a thunderstorm hit, replacing the firework sound with thunder. That eventually died down and I got to sleep, only to be awakened at 4 a.m. by the weather radio with a thunderstorm warning, and we got another storm with a rather spectacular light show and lots of thunder and heavy rain.

I stayed at home on July 4 and mostly just practiced music, caught up on the DVR, did some knitting, and cooked, and I was ready for bed early, but then the neighbors started blowing stuff up. That finally stopped and I went to sleep, and then the weather radio went off. This thunderstorm was even more spectacular than the previous night's excitement. Constant lightning and thunder, heavy rain, high winds. And then when that finally died down, the sirens started. I don't know if there were fires from lightning strikes or accidents on wet roads, but the police and/or fire departments were busy all night last night.

But now I really need to focus and do work. I'm getting into what should be the tough part of the book. The first three or so chapters were about why the heroine absolutely should not do this particular thing. The next couple of chapters were about why she absolutely had to do it (in spite of the reasons she shouldn't). Now I have to make her do this thing and figure out what the implications will be.

It's also a week until the release of Rebel Magisters and the paperback of Rebel Mechanics, so I need to do some publicity.

No comments: