Friday, July 05, 2013

Waiting for Water

I'm on day six with no hot water. I do have a water heater, but it's currently in a box in my neighbor's garage. Now I'm waiting to find out when the workers will come to finish the construction work and install the water heater. If I'm really, really lucky, I may be able to take a hot shower tonight. But the lack of hot water is turning out to be the least of the problems. It's only really an issue when I need to wash dishes or bathe. It's the waiting around for workers to show up that's suspending normal operations. I feel like I'm on constant alert for guests who might just drop by at any time. And then when they're around I can't help but be conscious of their presence. Even when I try to go upstairs and hide in my office, they're constantly opening the patio door to ask me questions or tell me things. And then there are the board members dropping in nightly to check on progress. So, while having hot water again will be heavenly, I'm even more looking forward to getting my normal life back. I want to be able to sleep late if I'm so inclined, not feel like I need to get dressed immediately, have a leisurely breakfast and start working on things that require concentration without worrying about being constantly interrupted.

I've switched from even trying to write to doing some more research reading, which turns out to be a good thing because I've already come up with a new character who will appear in the next scene and help drive the story where I need it to go. I'm also taking care of some mindless business-related tasks I've been putting off. I'm getting some office organizing done while waiting to hear from the workers. Yesterday, I found a CD I thought I'd lost, stuck in the middle of a pile of stuff.

I did most of my holiday stuff on the third, going to see Despicable Me 2, which was probably the funniest thing I've seen in years. I laughed so hard that I cried and ended up a little sore from laughing so hard. I really need minions. Then the adjacent town's fireworks display was that night, and I went with a friend. It turned out to be a relatively low-hassle fireworks experience. We arrived after 9 and still found decent parking. It was a bit of a walk to the park, but that meant we didn't have to sit in traffic to leave. Our view of the lower-level fireworks was somewhat obstructed from the vantage point we got, but we got a nice view of the high stuff. It looked like all the fireworks were coming out of the roof of a particular house, and the lower-level stuff looked like sparks shooting out of its roof. So I amused myself by imagining that to be the home of the local wizard or alchemist, who either just had a huge breakthrough or a huge disaster. Maybe the apprentice spilled something.

On the actual holiday, I made a Target run since I didn't think anyone would be showing up to work and it was my chance to leave the house, there was some napping, I made barbecued ribs, and I otherwise just hung out, read, watched TV and did some knitting.

Now I need to start summoning the workers so I can get this stuff done and over with. To ensure their arrival, I need to start doing something that would be really inconvenient to have interrupted.

No comments: