Friday, July 04, 2008

A Couch-Potato Holiday

Happy July 4! I decided to take the day as a mostly holiday, since there's little point in starting something, only to have the weekend hit, and I have a busy weekend.

This morning, I watched my city's parade on local access cable. I went in person once, and it was a lot of fun, though I got horribly sunburned. On TV, it reached new heights of hilarity because the local access cable announcers apparently didn't have monitors to see what the TV picture was. Therefore, their commentary was rather out of sync. We'd hear them talking about the amazing stretch limo while the picture showed a golf cart. I think most of the parade units were old cars, convertibles carrying local politicians, or flat-bed trailers carrying scout troops, gymnastics schools or Red Hat ladies.

I've realized that I'm in an awkward stage of life when I'm too old to be a Girl Scout but too young to be a Red Hat lady.

My plans for the rest of the day mostly involve reading, some of it work-related (maybe). I'll make a burger, and I've got a watermelon slice and some Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream with some blueberries and strawberries to go on it (I may make a parfait in one of my fancy sundae glasses).

Then it will be fireworks on TV. It's such a couch-potato way of celebrating the holiday, but I think that is typically American. Besides, the issue with July 4 is that it's in July, and in Texas that's not happy-fun outdoors time. It's huddle in front of your air conditioner and expend as little energy as possible time. We need a cooking-out and fireworks type holiday in October, when it's perfect weather for being outdoors as much as possible.

And now, before I retreat to my sofa with a Terry Pratchett book, my blog readers came through for me yet again, and here's the Japanese cover for Damsel Under Stress:

No comments: