Monday, January 21, 2008

Catching Up

Time for some catching up, updating and revisiting past topics.

My crazy neighbors with the yapping dogs and possible drug selling moved out not long after I griped about them. The house remains empty, but a weird little plastic Easter bunny figure has appeared on their front porch. The latest way for Realtors to hide keys? A mysterious secret signal? At any rate, quiet has returned to my little corner, except that the formerly good dog next-door to them picked up very bad habits from responding to the constant barking and now barks a lot more often than she used to.

After complaining about how hard it is to find something to do around here, I've now learned that the coffee shop at the library will start having live entertainment occasionally. They said they'd probably start when the weather's a bit warmer so they could do it on the patio. That does mean there likely will be smoke, but a few people smoking on the patio is better than being in a room full of smoke. So that means there may be something to go out and do just two blocks from my house. I'm not sure I'd walk it at night, but it's not an epic drive.

My mom has pointed out that if I ever was teased about being a bookworm, I've always had a very bad (and annoying, I'm sure) habit of taking things as compliments when they're meant as insults. I would have seen being a bookworm as a good thing, so it might not have occurred to me to think I was being insulted. If someone said it, they probably got a sweet smile and "Oh, thank you!" in response. And in high school, apparently I was seen as very intimidating, so most people were too afraid to insult me. I would say that I'm a bit baffled that anyone could be intimidated by me, but then I have to remember the enormous football player trying to date my roommate my senior year in college who told her that her roommate was "scary." (Of course, that could explain the quality of the UT football team during that era if the offensive line was scared of petite women.)

And following up on Friday's pizza rant, I was reminded that there are at least a couple of iconic pizza places in the area, and I've even been to them, just not in a while. I've also learned of some other places, and plans are even in the works for a pizza night with friends, so yay! It's also occurred to me that Mexican food seems to serve the purpose that pizza used to. A lot of the time when people meet up at a restaurant to celebrate a birthday, before or after doing something else, or just to eat, it seems to be for Mexican food. Some of that is because that's really our regional specialty and every neighborhood seems to have a locally operated Mexican restaurant (or more). I think it's also because it's easier to accommodate multiple dietary needs with Mexican than with pizza. A vegetarian, an Atkins dieter, someone with gluten sensitivity and even someone who's lactose intolerant can generally all find at least something to order from a Mexican menu, and most places even have a "gringo" section of the menu with plain old steaks or grilled chicken for those who don't like Mexican food. Plus, margaritas!

Finally, I really fell behind on posts about books on the Out of the Blogosphere tour (for paranormal books). I'll just do a quick blurb and provide a link if you want to get more info.

KEEPERS OF THE FLAME by Robin D. Owens
Twin sisters Bri and Elizabeth Drystan each have a special gift for healing, but they've taken very different career paths. While Elizabeth has pursued a medical degree, Bri has taken a more unorthodox and holistic path. Both of their gifts are sorely needed in the world of Lladrana, as the Dark has launched a deadly new plague.

Abruptly summoned to this alien world by desperate sorcerers, Bri and Elizabeth discover they are the fourth such summoning of Earth-born women, or Exotiques. The situation in Lladrana is dire, and Bri and Elizabeth are immediately thrown into the fray. To save the lives of many, one twin may place her own life in dire risk.

HEAT OF THE NIGHT by Sylvia Day
Connor Bruce is the realization of every woman’s erotic fantasies. Existing in the Twilight between sleep and consciousness, Connor brings them decadent pleasures, fueled by their sexual energy. But violence and strife now tear apart both worlds, and Connor must embark on a perilous quest into the mortal realm … and into the arms of one intoxicating enchantress.

Stacey Daniels has always been attracted to the wrong type of men – and the muscular, Viking-like champion on her front doorstep is no exception. She can hardly believe the wounded warrior is from another world, a world where erotic dreams are needed to survive, a world of terrible danger that has followed him to her home. Connor finds solace in her passion, but only time will tell if he can defeat the dark foe who hunts them … and if Stacey can surrender to the promise he offers with every electrifying touch.

SAVOR ME SLOWLY by Gena Showalter
Mishka Le’Ace was created to be an undercover operative . . . literally. Her beautiful body has been mechanically augmented to give her superhuman strength -- strength she’s going to need. Her latest mission sends her to rescue Alien Investigation and Removal agent Jaxon Tremain from torture and death. With him, she discovers a passion unlike any other. A passion she was forbidden to know. . .

From the moment they meet in a darkened cell, Jaxon craves her touch. But the machine half of Le’Ace forces her to do things she doesn’t always want to do. Even betray him . . . and ultimately destroy him. Now Jaxon must battle the man controlling Le’Ace and even Le’Ace herself to at last claim the woman he’s come to love.

Okay, I think I'm caught up on everything. Well, blog-wise. My e-mail has recently exploded to the point it may take days of solid work to dig down into it, I have lots of little admin type things to do, and I have to do some writing, but I no longer have nagging unfinished blog business (that I can remember) hanging over my head.

No comments: