Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Project Get a Life Starts

Today I start the first actual, concrete step in Project Get a Life: that music class at the community college. And I'm already sort of regretting it because it's cold and I don't want to go outside. But I have to mail some stuff, which means I'd have to go out anyway, so I might as well drag my body out to be around people.

It warmed up to just above freezing for a while yesterday, so all the ice started melting, and then it froze again, which created some really interesting icicles. The roof of my house is very steep, and it's those half-cylinder red clay tiles, so the water had definite channels to run in on its way down the roof. As a result, the icicles on the eaves were perfectly spaced. I also had some freaky icicles on the holly bushes in front. The leaves had all been perfectly coated with ice, so you couldn't tell the ice was there unless you touched them. The ice had barely started melting when it re-froze, and now the bush is covered in tiny icicles. I took some pictures, but I still have a few more pictures on that roll, so it may be a while before I get it developed.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting a digital camera. I'll probably continue using film for major travel photography and more arty stuff, but digital would be handy for quick snapshots to post online. I could get up photos of things like booksignings and conventions within a year or so instead of having to wait until I finished a roll of film (I can take eight rolls on a vacation, but for day-to-day life, I never think of using my camera). I wouldn't need anything too fancy or high-res. Probably some optical zoom to help frame shots, and it would need to be a camera that could work with my iBook. Does anyone have suggestions for a kind of camera or features, etc., to look for or beware of?

I found out that I don't have to have the book 4 revisions done until March, so I can relax a little. I think I will attempt multitasking because having more of the potential book 5 written will give me a new perspective on book 4.

And now I have to go get ready for the first day of school.

No comments: