Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hibernation Tendencies

You know, when I decided this was the best month for writing, I forgot about the hibernation factor. Yeah, there's not much to do and you don't really want to go outside, but that means it's also way too tempting to stay in bed and not get up to get any work done. I guess if you have a regular job and are writing on the side, you have to get up anyway. But if you don't have schedule constraints, it's very easy for the work day -- or the awake part of the day -- to keep getting shorter. But I have deadlines, so I will keep on plugging even if all I want to do is curl up under the covers and daydream.

I don't know how I'd fare in my own writing month. So far, I've got about 30,000 words of a novel done, plus I'm about halfway through a revision draft on another novel. And I'm doing some rewriting on the first three chapters of the book I'm writing so it can be submitted. I'm sure all that would add up to the equivalent of 50,000 words by next week. This kind of multitasking is new to me, and I kind of like it. It's nice to have a change of pace to spread out the work.

For those in the Chicago area, I'll be on a few panels at Capricon next month, and there will be a room party Saturday night based on my books. I'm really excited about that, and quite flattered. If you're there, come by and have a potion.

But first, I have work that must be done, no matter how much today feels like a good day for napping and reading. Gee, you know my brain must be out of commission if this is all I can think of to say instead of my usual novel-length posts.

No comments: