Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Happy 2007!

I had a pretty quiet New Year's Eve. Normally, even when I stay home I have a bit of a celebration. I open a bottle of something bubbly, maybe have some good chocolates and cheeses, and then listen to music while reading or else watch some favorite holiday-relevant movies. But my sniffles evolved into some bad sinus pressure, so I didn't really feel like doing even that much. I didn't want to mix cold medicine with alcohol, so the bottle of bubbly will wait for another celebration. I made a vat of spicy vegetable soup and some rustic bread and spent the evening on the couch. First I watched the Audra McDonald concert on Live from Lincoln Center, and then because I was in a quirky mood, I ended up watching Into the Woods on DVD.

But now that I think about it, a mellow, low-key celebration was appropriate for ending 2006. It was a very middle-of-the-road year, without the major highs and lows of the previous year. I didn't have any particular landmark events like having my first big book published or going to a Hollywood movie premiere, but I also didn't have anyone close to me die, either. 2006 just kind of went by in a blur. I think I spent most of the year at the computer. 2007 may go the same way because this year I really want to focus on my career. The markets for both of the genres my books fall into are tight and challenging right now, and while I think I have a little momentum and name recognition built up, I'm under no illusions of being able to coast. I'm going to work even harder to produce the best books I can, and more of them, as well as trying to find new ways to promote them and reach more readers. I really, really don't want to have to get a regular job again.

I can't believe I totally forgot to mention it the other day, but I've started writing a potential book 5. I don't know if they'll buy it, but I really want to write it because it's already turning out to be fun. There's a new character who's going to be a blast to write. This character is pretty much specifically designed to drive Katie nuts, but you still can't help but grow fond of this person. So, say your prayers and positive affirmations, light candles, cross your fingers and all that (let's avoid the ritual sacrifices, though) that my publisher will go for book 5.

And speaking of work, I'd better get to it!

No comments: