Sunday, November 26, 2006

Home From the Holidays

I'm home from the holiday, with a refrigerator full of leftovers, so I shouldn't have to cook or go grocery shopping for a few days. I may also turn into a turkey or a pan of cornbread dressing, but that's a risk I'll have to take (I do have some non-turkey leftovers, as well).

Although supposedly the holiday season has begun (depending on who you listen to -- I kind of like going by the liturgical calendar and using Advent as a marker), I really don't feel it. It still feels more fall to me. That could be because the trees outside my office window have finally started to turn. They're a bright red/orange, and when the sun hits them, it looks like the trees are on fire. I think I'm going to enjoy the "fall" feeling at least until December starts, and then I can begin thinking about Christmas. The last weather forecast I heard, we may get our first freeze later this week, which could alter my mindset. It's hard to feel all Christmasy when it's nearly 80 degrees outside.

My holiday was nice and relaxing. While I was at my parents' house, I never left the house the whole time. We just hung out, eating, napping, reading and watching TV. I did a little work, reading through a book for some background material, but otherwise, I tried to make it a real holiday, for a change. Tomorrow, however, work kicks in again. I have book proposals to write. I'm currently in the brainstorming phase, which is possibly my favorite part of writing books (other than depositing the advance checks). During this phase, the books exist as infinite possibilities. Anything could happen, and I can mentally explore all those possibilities (well, some of them) without risk and without committing myself. It's like playing make-believe as a kid, but instead of building forts in the backyard I'm lying on my couch. "Hey, what if ..." It only starts to feel like work when I have to write down the story that's taking shape in my head.

I have a few more hours of sluggishness, though, and I plan to enjoy them thoroughly.

No comments: