Sunday, November 05, 2006

Brief Report

I've had Internet access this whole weekend, but was barely in my room during waking hours, so I didn't have time to catch up and post anything. Even now, I'm so tired and drained, I'm not sure I can give any kind of coherent report. So, here's an incoherent attempt at a report.

In general, I had a lot of fun, met a lot of interesting people and learned a lot at World Fantasy Convention. I'm feeling rather illiterate in my genre (well, one of them). I read a lot, but I still hadn't read many of the books that were being discussed. I kept running into authors I'd heard of but hadn't read. I guess there are so many books that no one person could truly have read everything you're "supposed" to have read in this one genre, and since I read so widely, I spend only a fraction of my reading time on fantasy, as much as I love it. Needless to say, I'm coming home with quite the reading list.

I haven't been crazy about doing readings in the past. It feels a bit weird to read my own work. But after this weekend, sign me up! I was part of a group reading, so we each just read about ten minutes, which was less intimidating than having a slot to myself. I guess I must not have been too bad, because I kept running into people later who immediately went to buy the book. They even ran out at the bookseller in the dealer's room. I sold out of all the copies of Enchanted, Inc. I brought to the autographing session, and people were even checking nearby bookstores. So, yeah, I guess I ought to find more opportunities to read my work wherever I can find an audience.

Meanwhile, I got to catch up with some friends from my college days. I also overcame my fangirl dork nerves and managed to introduce myself to Charles deLint and thank him for that great review he gave me.

And now I'm going to return to vegging out in front of the TV with my stash of snacks to rest up for the drive home tomorrow.

No comments: