Monday, September 24, 2012

CoughCon Aftermath

I survived FenCon. I did have a good time, though it wasn't the typical convention experience at all. I mostly helped with the staff lounge, emerging when I had programming. That meant that my trying to rest and take it easy was actually useful. We had a few bursts of activity when we had to put together sack lunches for the staff members who couldn't leave their posts, but otherwise I just needed to sit in there to keep the room open or I monitored the radio in case we got calls from elsewhere.

So, what it boiled down to was hanging out with my friends and occasionally emerging to talk about geeky stuff, which isn't a bad way to spend a weekend. I just know that there are friends I only see at conventions that I didn't get a chance to catch up with, and that's sad, but I definitely wasn't at my best. As I kept saying to people expressing concern, this actually was dramatically better than I was a week earlier. The fever was gone and the infection was gone. The cough was more throat-clearing than lung-clearing. But now I'm very, very tired and I think I'm going to spend today resting. I have this idea in my head that if I could manage to get the right amount of the right kind of sleep, I'd wake up feeling entirely well. So far, that kind of sleep has eluded me, but I will keep trying.

One thing I do need to do today is rewatch the season premiere of Haven. I watched it, but the antihistamines were kicking in, so at this point I'm not sure what was really in the episode and what I dreamed was in it after watching it. I did watch Doctor Who, and I'm already sad that we have only one more episode with Amy and Rory. There seems to be so much untapped story potential with those characters. I think I'd be less sad about them leaving if they'd really used all the potential. Adding Rory's dad near the end doesn't help because now I also love him and want to see more of him and his sort of support staff role. And I want to know just how much he really knows now that he's in on the secret. Does he know the whole story? Does he know that his son has 2,000 years worth of memories or that he has a granddaughter who's a time-traveling archaeologist?

I have some blog post fodder from some of my panels, and let's hope that I get that magical healing sleep today so I can think clearly enough to write those posts.

No comments: