Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday

I'm all ready to face the work week after a busy weekend of singing and serving at a wedding, then having a very small, very casual dinner party. My house is clean, which makes for a peaceful environment. Now if only I could overcome the sleep deprivation. I'm back to popping awake early, but now it's at 6 a.m., in spite of staying up late the night before. I'm trying to decide if I would function better if I took a nap or if I just power through it and then try to get some sleep tonight. I guess I'll see how well I focus when I sit down to work.

I'm still doing physical therapy. Apparently, the scar tissue around my shoulder joint is loosening and breaking up, which means that I get a funny popping feeling when I move my arm. It usually doesn't hurt. It's just weird. I seem to have made a lot of progress in just the past week. I can't wait for all of this to be over so I can get back to normal (and stop racking up medical bills).

This week's goal is to take the book from good to great. It's easy to rewrite parts that suck. It's a lot harder when a scene is okay or even pretty good but you still get the sense that something is somehow lacking, that there's more that could be done. That takes a lot of patience, and that's probably my weakness. I just want to get it done, and if it's good enough, then that's okay. But this is a tough market right now, I'm essentially breaking back in, and I love this story and these characters enough to want to make this book the best it can be. Besides, I'm afraid that my main character will come after me if I shortchange her, and she's kind of scary. She's not a person to do things halfway, so she doesn't accept that from others, not even her author.

I have stuff to say about the season finale of Doctor Who, but I have to wait until it airs in the US and until Mom sees it because it's something that shouldn't be spoiled.

And now lunch, then work.

No comments: