Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Almost There!

If I'm really, really good today, I may finish my first draft. Yay! I think the last few scenes I've written will require some revision, but I won't know what that revision is until I write the next scenes. I've also come to the realization that I'm going to have to write a fake folk song for this book. If I refer to it more than once, then I have to write it. I'll probably find a real song (something by that great composer Anonymous, so it's public domain) and create new lyrics that fit my plot. And, hey, if the book gets published, I can always perform the song at conventions (if I can get over the stage fright issues). But that is something for the revision process. I'm not too worried about it now. I just want to get to the end of the story. I'm having to hold my brain back because it keeps trying to write the sequel, before I've even finished this one.

I'm also almost done with my taxes. I have the record-keeping done, so I'm down to writing the numbers on the forms. I probably shouldn't have procrastinated this year, since I will be getting money back (though I will probably just apply it to this year's estimated taxes), but I kept saying I'd do it after I finished the book, and then the book took me longer than I expected. At least I didn't procrastinate on the record-keeping. I was good about keeping up with it all year, so there wasn't that much to do at the end other than add everything up.

I forgot an item from the weekend's litany of tragedy, since it was Saturday night instead of on Sunday. I saw a local production of West Side Story Saturday night, which is also in the tearjerking category. They used actual teenagers for all the teenage roles (instead of the 20-30 somethings I've seen in most professional productions), which amplified the sense of tragedy because it was clear that these really were just kids.

So, yeah, maybe I need a moratorium on the sad stuff. At the moment, I'm re-reading Terry Pratchett (mostly because I'd finished the Dick Francis book I was reading, and I'd been thinking about this particular book, which happened to be beside my bed when I finished the one I was reading). A good laugh or two will help.

In other news, I believe I've given up on the new version of V. I taped it last week while I was at ballet, and I still haven't cared enough to watch it. It seems like the alien invasion and the resistance to the alien invasion mostly involve a lot of committee meetings. The resistance has meetings to talk about what they can do. The aliens have meetings to talk about what they should do. And I am allergic to committee meetings. Wake me up when someone slurps down a rodent and then blows something up.

And now I have a book to go finish. See you on the other side ...

No comments: