Monday, March 08, 2010

Hooray for Rainy Mondays!

I may be one of the few people in the world who absolutely LOVES rainy Mondays. I seem to write better on rainy days, and I hit Mondays all enthused to get to work and be productive. Rainy Mondays combine the two, for loads of fun and excitement.

I even got up early this morning, but that could have something to do with the fact that I went to bed really early last night. I had spent most of the day reading a rather epic reference book and I guess my brain couldn't absorb any more knowledge.

Normally on Mondays I discuss the movies I watched over the weekend, but I didn't do much movie watching. I saw most of 17 Again on HBO while I made and ate breakfast on Saturday, and I think it was cute, but barely remember much about it, other than the fact that I did like the "become a teenager again" story with the focus not being on reliving his own life. Plus, the teenager who acted like a dad was an interesting characterization (as opposed to the adult man who acts like a teenager). And I got a lot of giggles about the geek love in the subplot. I wouldn't have paid to see it, but for free it was mildly diverting.

Otherwise, I've been researching the next book I'll be writing, and I usually start broad and then narrow my focus once I know enough about the topic to know what to focus on. As a result, I've been plowing through the aforementioned epic reference. I've already renewed it once from the library, so I really must finish it this week, and it's more than 1,200 pages before it reaches the bibliography, index and references. Only a tiny portion of the book (that I haven't even reached yet) addresses the specific subject I'm researching, but I decided to read it all out of curiosity and because I thought it would be good to put my subject in context. And I'm glad I have read it all. I've learned a lot, in general, and I think having all that context will help me create a richer world.

And, yes, I'm being annoyingly vague, but I don't talk in specifics about works in progress, and even talking about what I'm reading will give a lot away.

Now to revel in my rainy Monday ...

No comments: