Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Machiavelli and the Plan for World Domination

The Christmas stuff did not go up yesterday, mostly because it was cold and drizzly all day and the big stuff (like the tree and garlands) that has to go up first is in the garage, and my garage isn't adjacent to my house. My house faces a kind of courtyard, and I have to leave the courtyard and cross a driveway to get to my garage. I stepped out to get the mail yesterday afternoon, then changed my mind and went back inside because it was the kind of cold that seeps into your bones. It's still drizzly, so I don't know when I'll manage to drag things in. Maybe I'll haul in a thing or two on the way home from ballet tonight.

I spent all day yesterday working on a project I thought would be quick and easy. It would have been quicker and easier if Word hadn't crashed about three times while I was working on it. I still have a little bit more to do on it, but I should be ready to release it into the world tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Today, I'm getting a writing itch already, so I may retreat under a blanket with the laptop for the rest of the day. I also have some reading I want to do. I figured that if I'm going to use the term "Machiavellian," then I ought to really know what it implies, so I'm reading The Prince. I figure it might make good resource material for creating villains. I don't know what it says about me that I (so far) don't think it comes across as all that ruthless or devious. It actually makes a scary amount of sense. Is it a bad sign when you frequently say, "Well, duh!" while reading Machiavelli?

You know, it might also make good resource material for the Ongoing Plan for World Domination -- Machiavelli's guide to planning your writing career. The publishing world should be afraid, very afraid. Now I just need to figure out where I can get some mercenaries, and what I would do with them in this context. And how to pay them, I guess.

No comments: