Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Ballet Murder Magic Club

This is going to be a combined Thursday/Friday post since I took much of today off. It's my dad's birthday, so I met my parents in a town east of the metro area for lunch. There's a restaurant there that's an offshoot of a restaurant that used to be in my hometown that was our favorite restaurant, but then the owner retired and sold it, and it was never the same. We thought it would be fun to check out the branch, and it was just like the old one. Even better, the former owner of the original happened to be visiting her family, so we got to catch up with her. Although we miss the restaurant, I can't really blame her for retiring. She's spending her retirement traveling and will be going on a safari in Africa later this summer. That's so cool.

And then I was faced with a "you can't get there from here" situation on my way home due to road construction, so I had to do some creative navigating to avoid a serious traffic jam. On the up side, I learned that what I remembered as a two-lane road is now a fairly major highway. Progress!

Tonight was my last ballet class of the spring session, which means I've been doing this for a year. I normally don't stick with things that long. I'm more of a dabbler, trying various things and then moving on to the next one. I've already signed up for the summer session, so I guess I'm sticking with it. I like the way it makes me feel. My legs are stronger and my posture has sort of improved. Plus, it's fun. I've made friends with the women in the class, and there's such a big range, from teenagers to grandmothers.

Hmm, since those "club" books are all the rage, where you get the multi-generational group of women who meet in book clubs, knitting groups, quilting circles, etc., and help each other through the problems of life, I wonder if a ballet class book would sell ... but I think it would only interest me to write it if they did stuff like solve murders or if the Sugar Plum Fairy's wand turned out to be really magical, given that I have zero interest in reading most of those "club" books.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that the choir director was looking for soloists or groups to perform Rodgers and Hammerstein music for the June concert. Well, I kind of got my arm twisted -- not that it took too much effort. A friend in choir who usually sits next to me suggested we do a duet. She's like me, wanting to do it but a bit afraid, and we figure if we do it together, it will be less scary. I don't know what we'll be singing, as I can't think of any two-woman duets in any of those shows, but the choir director said he'd work on something for us. My friend said she wanted to do something emotional instead of funny, so I went along with it (though I think we could have rocked "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?"). I'm now curious to see what he puts together for a soprano/mezzo soprano duet.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I'll be a panelist for the writing track at Project A-Kon this weekend (the anime convention in Dallas). I'll only be there Saturday morning and mid-day on Sunday. They're giving the authors tables in the "artists alley" for autographs and stuff, but I'll probably only be there for a little while before and after my sessions. Since I'm only doing a few panels, I'm not planning to hang around much. I need to be working.

Which is what I'll be doing Friday. I'm going to try another offline weekend and really get some words pounded out. So, have a great weekend!

No comments: