Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Newsflash: The Enchanted, Inc. Screenwriter

Since it's been announced in Variety, I suppose it's safe for me to announce this:

They've hired a screenwriter for the film version of Enchanted, Inc.!

The screenwriter is Steven Rogers, who did the screenplays for P.S., I Love You (oops!), Stepmom, Hope Floats and Kate and Leopold.

Although I did have issues with the parts of P.S., I Love You that I was able to watch, I loved Hope Floats and Kate and Leopold. In fact, I got a lot of inspiration for the way Philip, my former enchanted frog guy, would act in modern New York from watching Kate and Leopold, and Hope Floats was one of the movies I watched in my inspiration/mood-setting "retreat" before I wrote Don't Hex With Texas. It would seem that he gets both small-town Texas and odd or magical stuff in New York, so I think he's a good fit.

Now, before anyone gets too excited, hiring a screenwriter doesn't mean the movie is definite. It's just a step in the process. But it is a step along the way.

If you want the official details, here's the article in Variety.

It's also on Sci Fi Wire. And MovieWeb. And a number of either science fiction/fantasy or film-related blogs. It seems like there's a lot of discussion about similarities to Enchanted or concerns about it being Sex and the City meets Charmed. Anyone who cares to comment at any of these blogs based on having actually read the book is more than welcome to do so.

1 comment:

Brock Atkinson said...

Congratulations. Although it is probably not my cup of tea in a movie, I'm glad to see a book written with such heart to have its chance at a feature.

I hope it goes well for you.