Monday, December 29, 2008

Girlfriends Cyber Circuit Welcomes Back Laurie Faria Stolarz

I'm back at home and taking a moderately light week this week, though I have a few "work" tasks to take care of. I had a good Christmas, though, technically, it's still Christmas, and all the stuff leading up to Christmas Day was just Advent (my excuse for continuing my celebration of Christmas a little while longer).

Now, since I do have those nagging little tasks to take care of, I'm going turn the blog over to a Girlfriends Cyber Circuit tour stop, with my guest Laurie Faria Stolarz, author of the new book Deadly Little Secret. Laurie is also the author of the popular Blue is for Nightmares series.

Until three months ago, everything about sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at an art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes far from ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe he's trouble, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. Instead she's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help – but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something...but he's not the only one with a secret.

Sounds like something good for curling up with on a cold winter night, huh? Now, the interview:

Was there a particular inspiration for this book?
I wanted to write a story where the main character has to struggle with the idea of falling in love with someone who could potentially kill her (and who's already allegedly killed someone in the past). I also wanted to continue experimenting with the supernatural -- showing how we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those things and make them stronger.

Many of your books involve people with unusual abilities or talents. How do you come up with the ideas for these talents?
I'm always looking for a new story. Readers of mine seem to like my supernatural spin on things, and so I was looking for a new way to approach the supernatural world. I started researching different supernatural powers that people claim to have. That's when I came upon psychometry, the ability to sense things through touch.

Which unusual talent do you wish you'd had during your teen years?
The ability to become invisible at will.

(I think my problem was that I did turn invisible at times. I still seem to have those moments ...)

What are you working on now?
I'm working on Deadly Little Lies, the second book in the Touch Series. I'm also working with the artist on the graphics for Black is for Beginnings, the fifth book in the Blue is for Nightmares series (it's a graphic novel).

For more info and to get the details on a contest where you could get a minor character in the next Touch book named after you, visit Laurie's web site At the moment, her site appears to be down -- check back later today (her host is working on it). In the meantime, you can buy the book from Amazon. There's also a book trailer on the Amazon page. You can also read Laurie's blog (which isn't down for the count).

Now I have to go find a way to sum up The New Project in two paragraphs. And since it's actually kind of dry today, I may make some meringue mushrooms for my contribution to a New Year's party. I'll see if I can take pictures along the way to post a how-to.

No comments: