Thursday, September 27, 2007

The High Ground

My copy edits are now pretty much done. I just have to print some things and get it all shipped out, and I think I'll do that Monday. Today I have to finish writing an article and get all packed to leave town tomorrow.

I think I'm catching up on rest after the crazy week I've had, but the ragweed levels are "very high," which doesn't help much with the thinking and being alert, no matter how much rest I've had.

The copy edits were pretty easy. I must be getting good at this because the editor didn't seem to catch me in any major errors, and she only changed a few things that weren't style issues. Most of the changes were of the sort where there are multiple correct ways to do a compound word -- two separate words, a hyphen, or run them together -- and the publisher goes with the first version given in a particular dictionary. Then this editor, who is now my indentured copy editor for life (I wonder if I can request her at other publishers, since she is a freelancer -- I do have her contact info), is also a fan of my books as a reader and asks some good questions about things she wants to see more of or understand better, and that takes some minor rewriting. That's the part I did last night.

I still plan to play the martyr card to the hilt and make sure everyone knows that even though I got the edits later than I was supposed to, during a very busy time for me, I still managed to meet my deadline. I like having the high ground.

I'm very excited that The Office is back tonight. My plan is to have everything done by then so I can just sit and relax as I watch, and then I can go to bed, since I have to get up really early for my flight. And that means I ought to start packing.

No comments: