Thursday, June 08, 2017

Summer Schedule

I’m now on full-on summer schedule, since we had our last choir rehearsal until August last night. I’m trying to decide how that will affect my work schedule. I’ve been doing writing Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday as Getting Other Things Done day, then writing Thursday and Friday (and sometimes Saturday). I do find that my brain needs a break — if I’ve had a really intense writing session, I don’t get a lot done the next day — so that midweek break may stay. Wednesday is also usually a good day for running errands because most people are at work that day. I’ve thought about going to a kind of “summer schedule” like the publishers do and moving my “do other stuff” day to Friday to give myself three-day weekends. The possible downside of that is that I don’t get the midweek break, while a long weekend might make me lose momentum.

Or I could be sane and not be rigid about it. If there’s something I want to do on a Friday, I can write Wednesday and take Friday off. If I’m really productive the rest of the week, I can do other stuff on Wednesday and take Friday as a partial holiday. I work for myself, so I can be flexible. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this.

I spent yesterday working on the web site stuff. I think I have all my existing content entered. Now I want to proof and test the whole thing before letting the developer know I’m ready to pull the trigger and make it public. I need to add a lot of new stuff. I can tell where I was really enthusiastic to start with and have lots of extra stuff for the early books, and as my career progresses, the bonus content starts to fade out. I guess I got discouraged. It’s hard to get motivated to do something when you don’t see results, and my web site didn’t seem to have any impact on my readership or sales. But I promise to try to do better. Writing will always be my #1 priority, but I do need to sell more of what I write, so I should do more promo.

However, I got some news yesterday that gives me more incentive to get this book done so I can get it out on the market. It’s going to be a big writing day, I think.

No comments: