Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!!!

I had a great time ringing out the old and ringing in the new last night. Some friends took me to a party with their friends, most of whom I knew from various conventions and other events, but since there's usually precious little time to just socialize at cons, it was a chance to get to know everyone a little better in a more casual setting. One of the main party events was a viewing of the recent Doctor Who Christmas episode, which was tons of fun watched in a crowd. It also led to a lovely dream in which I was the companion to the Doctor during a crisis that involved being in a Victorian-like setting, but it was in the future when neo-Victorianism was all the rage, as only the truly rich could afford to live a technology-free life. There was lots of running around in a Victorian-like mansion while wearing a Victorian ballgown, and I seemed to have been a slave girl rescued by the Doctor and then spiffed up to infiltrate the fancy Christmas party in the house and free all the slaves, so there was a nice moment when he first saw me in the ballgown, all cleaned up, and with my hair loose and all pretty and curly and I felt like a princess. And then when the adventures really started, my stupid heater kicked on with its very loud fan and woke me up. I did manage to fall back into the dream, but then it went into a disturbing phase involving aliens in steampunk-looking dirigible spaceships and mind manipulation by the aliens so that everyone saw the Doctor as a child and wouldn't listen to him, which really frustrated him.

If they're stuck for a script, I may have written next year's Christmas episode for them. In my sleep.

So, anyway, that was my New Year's Eve -- Doctor Who, champagne, confetti, noisemakers and that fun sense that I was among My People.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post yesterday about the coming year ... I'm facing one of those scary round number birthdays, and that makes me feel like I should do something special and big this year to commemorate it. A few weeks ago when there was all the hype about the local marathon, I thought that would be a fun goal for the year that would also help me make my "get in shape" resolution. I could even try doing one of those charity "team in training" things, and see if readers would be willing to pledge to force me to run the marathon. But I think I got over that. I can fixate for ages on things I'm excited about, but have very little attention span for other things. Every time I've contemplated training for a marathon, it's gone kind of like, "Hey, I should train for a mara--Or I could perfect my bread recipe." And that usually is how it goes, straight from a fitness goal to a food goal.

So now I need to think of something special to accomplish this year.

1 comment:

Amanda Ashby said...

Hey Shanna, just swinging by to wish you all the best in 2008!!!!